Monday, April 27, 2009

::thanks, a story, and a little luck::

Thank you so much Trisha for commenting about the IT desk! I ran over there and they really helped me out.

I am so grateful for technology people. They really saved my life last Thursday! I went early to the English lab to work on some projects that are due this week. Yes, I am a procrastinator. Anyway, I put my flash drive into the computer and what happens? It was not good, I assure you. A warning popped up on the screen that said "DEVICE UNREADABLE. PLEASE TRY RE-INSERTING THE DEVICE"

???

Slightly confused I pulled out my flash drive and then put it in again. Same warning popped up...hmmm maybe it's the computer. So I tried several different computers. None of them would take my flash drive.

!!!

Now alarm and panic began to set in. All my projects and internship assignments are on this little flash drive. So I start planning on completely starting over on my projects and basically not leaving the computer lab for about a week.

Then my friend Trisha commented that I should try the USU IT desk. So I hurry over there and ask if they can help me. One of the IT boys took my little flash drive back to his office to see if it would work on any of his computers. After inserting it into 6 different systems (and the flash drive didn't work in any of them) he asked me:

"So...are you willing to let us break your flash drive to get the data off?"

Me (anxiously): Yes, if it will help.

He then promptly took out some pliers and broke the outside of my flash drive...about this point I was a little distressed. Then he grabbed what looked like a curling iron with a pointy end and burned some of the circuits together. Then he went back to his computer and put it in the port again...

and...

IT WORKED!!! Yay! I wouldn't have to live in the lab for the rest of the week and finals week.

This story has a very happy ending. And I have learned my lesson and hopefully you have learned from my mistake. ALWAYS back up your projects. Especially because the IT boy told me that flash drives are one of the worst things to have your information stored on. Who knew?

So now it is finals week and I hope that none of you have to go through what I went through last week. I wish you all a good finals week and hope that all your finals go well.

Happy studying.

2 comments:

Amie said...

I hate computer problems! I had a final project due, and right before I went to burn it on a disk (two hours before the final and before it was due) it wouldn't work! I had to re-due the whole thing again and I was late to my final. It was terrible! Technology is amazing, and also the worst thing in the world.

Chess said...

Yay for you! I'm so happy! That's so scary....I hope I never have to go through the stress of that. Glad everything worked out. Good luck this week!